day 55: herbs

day 55: lately poor Herbie has not gotten nearly as much blog love as he used to pre-babies. He also is quite stressed these days… I think being chased by crazy toddlers is making him loco. He also looks tired. Probably because I woke him up by taking pictures of him. Oops.

Advertisements
day 55: herbs

day 54: almost done-ish

day 54: we moved into our new place how long ago? Almost 6 months? And we still had boxes that hadn’t been unpacked? Yep. We did. We got 99.99% of the unpacking done within the first 2 weeks of moving in – just in time for our family portrait session. And then whatever we didn’t unpack at that point just remained in its box until today. How very sad. The saddest part is that two of the boxes were just on the floor of our bedroom – staring me down every time I walked by them. Not anymore. I realize our room still needs help (like a headboard, maybe some curtains? a coat of paint?) but at least for now it’s not swimming with boxes. And that is a major improvement. Pardon the crummy light

day 54: almost done-ish

my first shirt refashion {sewing projects}

This is my first attempt at a “refashion” for an article of clothing for myself. I’ve done one other refashion project but it was taking a t-shirt and making it into a dress for Amelia. It went so-so. The dress was cute but not exactly how I pictured it. I decided that maybe I should start with something easier for myself since, up until this point, I had never successfully sewn an article of clothing that I deemed worth of wearing in public.

The idea was very simple. Take a shirt that I didn’t like anymore (weird sleeves, kind of awkward – what was I thinking when I bought it in the first place?) and transform it into something better and more wearable. Here’s the original.

I hesitated at first before making any cuts to the fabric. Thanks to the wonder of the internet I *knew* or at least believed to be true that I could cut knit fabric and it wouldn’t fray (is it made of MAGIC?! Seriously how is this possible?) but I was still worried that it wouldn’t work for me. I hovered there, scissors in mid air. Should I cut? And then I remembered that this shirt was recovered from my goodwill pile. I was going to give it away. So what’s the worst that could happen? I totally butcher it? And then give it away – like I was planning to do anyway.

So I plunged ahead – snipping first one and then the other sleeve off just below the shoulder seam. And in so doing discovered that there is something totally cathartic in just chopping up an article of clothing that you don’t like. I immediately felt better and more productive. The shirt without the sleeves was an improvement in itself, but I decided to take the fabric I had cut off and make it into some little flowers. Shirts with flowers are all the rage right now, didn’t you know? And every time I see one I think “man that is overpriced, I could definitely make that myself” So what better time than now to try?

Here is the finished product (photographed in much better light than the “before” picture – note to self – do not photograph things after dark in horrendous artificial lighting). I’m quite pleased with it.

I can’t believe I waited so long to try something like this out – it makes me want to run into my closet and pull out any shirt that’s “so-so” and hack it to bits. I have my eye on at least 5 internet tutorials for making cute girly shirts from abandoned large men’s t-shirts so I think I’ll attempt one of those next. Yay for making something you love from something you really couldn’t care less about.

my first shirt refashion {sewing projects}

day 50: lookie what I made

day 50: I’ve been in a bit of a creative rut – looking at and wanting to do a lot of cool projects I’ve found online, but not having a space to do them in and getting frustrated. Our place definitely doesn’t have a “craft room” and I hate to leave a huge mess on the dining room table (which Paul can now easily reach up and grab things off of). So my solution for today was a super quick mini-project. Sorry for the terrible pictures. I’ll take a better one tomorrow. In around an hour I made a shirt I really didn’t like (and was going to throw away) into one I that I like much much better. I’m quite pleased.

day 50: lookie what I made